Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Resurrection Day

I was hoping that there wouldn't be any reason to write a new post before tomorrow (cancer update), and that the post would only be positive. Not so.

But before I get into what happened I have to first remind myself what this day is about. Today Christians all around the world are celebrating the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The Greatest Gift of all! We celebrate the "finished" work that our Great and Merciful God has done for us. And while we reflect on His great mercy we can not help but praise Him all the more.

And today I am praising him all the more. For once again his provision has taken care of Steve, and helped us to avoid something really bad. Tuesday Steve started having a low grade fever, which he told me about on Thursday. (Yes I was mad!!!) Wednesday night I noticed a slight swelling in his right lower leg. Being as thin as he is it was easy for me to see the difference between his two legs. He had no other symptoms.

There wasn't much change over the next two days. Friday he went in for his picc cleaning and told them his symptoms. They thought it could be a blood clot and scheduled an ultrasound, the earliest available appt. being on Tuesday. Jump forward to Friday night, Steve's low grade fever is now up to 100.9, he begins the antibiotics. Saturday his leg starts to hurt. Great!

Now after reading everything I have on the numerous side effects from chemotherapy and all the medications, I knew swelling and pain in the leg was most likely due to a blood clot. We called the doctor and he recommended a trip to the ER. Now mind you this was the 3rd time in a little over 3 months we had been to the ER. So we decided to eat first. We stopped at Norm's restaurant! I know, I know, not the wisest thing to do but we were hungry and we knew we would not see the light of day for hours.

When we got to the ER he was given a room right away. Dr. L. ordered some blood work, an xray of his chest and an xray and ultrasound of his leg. The leg xray was to rule out a pathological fracture. This is what Myeloma does, it causes bones to break. Fortunately that was not the case.

5 long hours later we were told Steve had a blood clot (Deep Vein Thrombosis). And we were happy to find out that we could go home. But first they had to show me how to give him a shot of Arixtra (blood thinner). I would be doing this for the next 6 days. This wasn't too bad. Having two diabetic sons I knew how to give shots. In fact Steve didn't even feel the one I gave him. (Don't ask him about the one the experienced nurse gave him).

We are thankful. Thankful for you our friends and for your prayers. I'll see you tomorrow with a new update and we are still hoping for that "positive" post"

Love Deanna

No comments:

Post a Comment